Why Film in Greece?
600 reasons and more…
Greece offers some of the most evocative locations in the world, with up to 6,000 islands and countless mainland sites featuring pristine landscapes, gorgeous beaches washed by crystal clear waters, and traditional villages full of colour and character.
- Greece is very close to all European capitals, serviced by several flights daily. Ample sunlight enables 9-14 hours of shooting per day. The climate is mild and generally predictable. The close proximity of locations makes transportation affordable.
- Low crew and talent costs.
In addition, a law passed in May 2018 now offers a number of further attractive incentives for film production in Greece, including:
- Cash rebate of 35% for all production and post-production expenditures.
- Unlimited eligible budgets.
- The incentives approval may be used as a bank guarantee, so producers can seek pre-financing of the respective amount.
- Eligible projects: feature films, scripted TV content, documentaries, animation & video games. No commercial films.
- Project approval within 45 days, based on script synopsis, budget estimate and simplified ‘Cultural Test’ criteria.
- Cash rebate granted within 60 days of expenses auditing.
Greece - Europe
Greece - World
Producers will find an incredible diversity of locations, from sites with enormous historical or architectural interest, to an array of poignant urban and suburban settings. In terms of natural beauty, the country is truly blessed… offering a seemingly unlimited choice of mountains, rivers, lakes, waterfalls, caves, canyons and snowy peaks.
While Greece is, of course, renowned for its unparalleled historical monuments, including Mycenaean palaces, ancient theatres, Classical temples, Byzantine monasteries and medieval castles.
Climate & light
An average 250 days of sunshine a year, low annual rainfall and a generally mild climate make the country a particularly attractive destination for film shooting. In addition, the unique light that is so characteristic of Greece has been lavishly praised by artists, photographers and filmmakers, not only as a valuable asset but also a source of inspiration.
Crews & facilities
Greece’s credentials as a premier destination for film productions are further boosted by the local availability of talented and highly professional crews. Here, you will find art directors, camera assistants and production managers with broad experience in the industry and fluency in at least one foreign language.
Athens-based studios can accommodate any interior filming, while there is a wide choice of rental services that cover all related needs (full camera packages, lighting, sound, grip, wardrobe, make-up, etc.), as well as laboratories offering comprehensive services for both image and sound.
All this translates into high production value at a reasonable cost.
We work with experienced casting directors and have a well organized cast pool of characters, models, actors – both Greek and international – providing a wide choice of different nationalities, ages and ‘types’ at reasonable fees and buyouts.